Wednesday, January 4, 2017


Short Story
I opened my eyes slowly, sunshine streaming through the windows, unrestrained and unwanted. I groaned, while the blanket floated off me and folded nicely on the end of the bed. I laid there refusing to move. I listened to the sound of timid maids scurrying around and the muffled sounds of dishes clinking downstairs.  I finally sat up and allowed my clothes to dress me. As they did, I stared around the palace watching idiots grovel at my mother’s feet, not knowing that she couldn’t see them anyway. Once dressed, I sat in my chair and floated out the window. I yawned as the chair moved like a turtle towards the other tower, and willed it to move faster. I stepped through the window sill and went to my mother’s side.

“Please wake up mother,” I said, “Morning isn’t the same without you.”

My mother lay silently, her eyes wide and glassy.  I pulled her once lustrous red hair off of the fluffy pillow and set a brush to work on it. I studied her small frame and again started to feel hopeless. She had been like this for too long. I was the only one with access to her room, and therefore the only one to take care of her. I was also the only one left to make the sun rise.

2 comments:

  1. Wow, that was amazing. I'm not sure what to think about it right now but I'm sure that as soon as I have time to process it will become clear. That was brilliant. I loved the emotion and the little glimpses in tho the life of the character. One thing I was a little confused about wast the last line about the sun. It left me wondering if this was supposed to be a fantasy work or if it was a figure of speech. Aside from that is was a really inspiring work of art. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the way you described how she got ready for the day. It made it also seem like a dream and it caught my attention and kept me reading.

    ReplyDelete