Thoughts about Perfection
-Scott Westerfield, The Uglies
You are a golden glass of apple juice,
and the peanut butter sandwich that goes with it.
You are the morning breeze and the icy wind,
the ripest apple on the branch.
You are the flicker of laughter in a friend's eyes,
and the screams of excitement on a roller-coaster.
However, you are not the curly locks of a queen,
the taste of a sharp cucumber,
or a cool mountain stream.
And you cannot be a ripped,
winter sweater that is worn while playing in the snow.
No you are not a winter sweater at all.
Perhaps you are the sun setting over the sea,
maybe even the taste of fresh strawberries,
but you are certainly not the smell of a wet penny
lying on the pavement.
You are also not a wild, stormy ocean,
nor the sound of clinking utensils.
Neither the paper and pen, or
the honey on a buttered piece of bread.
I am the smell of peaches on a summer's day,
and a paper cut from math homework.
I am also the sound of a basketball hitting wooden planks,
the slick rocks at the bottom of a waterfall,
and the picture inside of the old woman's locket.
I know that I am the first snowflake of winter,
and the smell of pot roast and carrots.
You are not these things, but, no worries,
because I will always know that
you are the glass of golden apple juice
and the peanut butter sandwich that goes with it.
I really like your quote from the Uglies series. That was a good series, but I like how you relate your poem to the quote too.
ReplyDeleteI really enjoyed this. You chose such interesting things to represent "perfection." I loved "the glass of golden apple juice and the peanut butter sandwich that goes with it," because I love both apple juice and peanut butter sandwiches and think they are pretty much perfection.
ReplyDelete